Checking In

Following my own advice from yesterday's post on collection maintenance, I checked in and organized all the young adult graphic novels (with the blessing of the YA librarian). Leaving aside the manga for another day, I estimate that we have over 400 YA graphic novels (on the shelf). Upon checking them in, I found:


  • 19 items marked "missing"
  • 3 items marked "lost"
  • 4 items with holds
  • 2 items with notes/cataloging problems
  • 2 graphic novels from the adult collection
  • 1 YA paperback
  • 1 item marked "display"

  • I also pulled out several items to potentially move to another part of the library (e.g., a Garfield collection that could go live with the other Garfield collections). The process took less than three hours, for which I was also on desk.

    Right after I finish these tasks, I always have a strong urge to hover protectively near the section and put things away as soon as people use them, but I also know (in my rational moments) that a messy collection is one that is being well-used.

    ETA: I also did quite a bit of repair, as this is a very popular collection, so that three hours includes a lot of taping up of spines and a few patron interactions, one of which was a guy requesting 15 audiobooks.

    Comments

    Anne said…
    Doesn't it feel terrific to have cleaned up all those items with an erroneous status?

    Popular posts from this blog

    Tips for Weeding Your Reference Collection

    The black shelves are over there.......

    Weeding a Forgotten Section